Friday, January 13, 2012

Cracking Down, With Love

So I recently asked a much more experienced mom a question that needed answering in order to save my sanity.  My question was basically this: How do you run your home without killing your children or your husband?  There are so many things I want to do outside of cleaning up after everyone, such as  crafts, sewing, adventures with kids, story time, and for Rhagan, some school time.  She replied on her blog http://www.bighappynest.blogspot.com/. She suggested several spectrums of life that may be stressing me.  One, that I know is true is organization and the other is the obedience of my children.


Through organizing my home and simplifying my routines I have found that not only are my children and my husband mess makers, but so am I.  When there is stuff out on the floor and everything kind of a mess, what's the use, right?  I guess that was my thinking.  Since I have been working hard to keep stuff put away and organized I have actually had time to clean instead of just tidy up.  Cleanliness and tidyness are a must for me.  If I throw those two things out the window, you might as well throw me out the window too.  Let's just say I am not too pleasant to be around.  For me: Mess = Stress


Since we have been implementing our new organization methods we had time to go an a hike and do crafts yesterday.  Oh, and we also did some school time with Rhagan. This makes me happy.
Another thing in my life that makes me crazy is my kids not listening to me.  Jen also wrote about this in her blog, as seen up above.  Part of my stress is constantly telling my kids to do or not to do something.  Jen suggested making them listen the first time with no second chances.  Are we trying this?  Yes.  Is it working?  Yeeeessss! I will give you an example of the other day.  I can't remember what Rhagan did or didn't do exactly but she didn't do it the first time I asked.  This warranted a spanking.  I am not talking about anything hard, just a little pat to remind her.  After the swat she turned around and yelled at me.  I told her to bend over again because little girls don't talk to their mommies like that.  After that swat she turn around and looked at me, pointed her finger and yelled again.  I told her to bend over again because little girls don't yell and point their fingers at their mommies.  She got another swat and began giggling.  Then I began giggling too.  The discipline ended in a tight hug. I was not mean in my discipline or too harsh. I did not yell or scream.  She got the point that she cannot talk back to me and she needs to do what I ask her to.  She understood the boundaries and has been obeying me since.


Cracking down does not have to be torture.  Everyone in the household needs discipline, especially the runners of the home.  Cracking down seems to be leverage for my patience and sanity. But my true joy is in the Jesus...and I am learning about cracking down with love from the Lord daily.

2 comments:

  1. Wow ! It has taken many mothers,a long time, to be enlightened with the things you have learned! I have heard you first hand, discipline your children and i think its amazing! you do it with such love and patience it blows me away. I know we don't stop learning ...like EVER , but I hope when I have children , to learn from your lessons quickly so I too may be a wonderful mom . thank you for being an inspiration! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mel. I was kind of blown away by your comment. Thank you and I am blushing. It's hard work but the fruits are a boutiful harvest!

    ReplyDelete